:: Keep trying...don't give up! :: - My life. In focus.

   I cant make Roti! I mean what kind of Indian woman am I if I can't do that? It's enough to send shivers down the spine of my indian counterparts back at the motha land! I can hear the audible gasp of disdain at my lack of cultural grasp now. This is the kind of sensitive information I should hide away and never reveal. If this was an entrance exam into marriage, and my mother-in-law was the proctor, this is a test I must at least meet minumum competenancy on!    

   I wondered to myself. Shouldn't I know this. I mean, it should be in my blood.  Shouldn't it? Afterall I can make a pasta to die for (at least in my head) and I'm not Italian. I can cook up a killer enchilada dinner and theres not a hispanic gene running through my viens. But the one thing I can't do, is make a roti.     

   Today, I attempted to turn it all around and give in to my roots. Rajesh stood in amazement and even offered to document the event. I shot him a quick look of disgust and he got the point. I was in the midst of it all....water and oil all over the counter, flour on my clothes and hair, and I almost felt like giving it all up. Then, by some sort of divine intervention, I was encouraged by a song playing in the background "keep trying, keep trying, don't give up, don't give up." I was like...God? Then I snapped out of it and thought.." No dummy, it's Zanes favorite show - Yo Gabba Gabba. (I secretly want to be fufa by the way - don't ask just follow the link). So I at least finished. I may never attempt this debacle again but I at least have docmentation of "that time I made roti"


Comments

ap said…
So hilarious! Pretty cute rotis!
feuza said…
Funny how I knew the song right away and dont worry I am Brazilian and I make sticky rice whis is like then I am not married woman material ya know, funny thing is I have bene documenting my so called crazy cooking attempts as well,. see we have lots in common.
My Kids' Mom said…
You crack me up, G! Love the Yo Gabba Gabba remark. Hey, we all have to get our inspiration somewhere. Good job! I have no idea what roti is, but good job!
Gina said…
HaHa, Jen! Roti is the tortilla to a hispanic person!
Roshani said…
Hey! Love the new signature and the new design! It's really clean. I also like the mini frames at the bottom that take you to prior shoots. Good work! Can't wait to see you next month...Take care.
Unknown said…
Kailas said..
Hey Gayu,Iam proud of you.My all grandchildrenslikes Roti,Brownsugar and Butter.Give it to Jen.He will love it.Keep on trying.Love you.

Popular Posts